Today, we’ve become increasingly captivated by experiences ( both tangible and intangible), that deliver instant gratification.
In running , it translates to adding nutritional supplements to quickly-
- build endurance,
- boost strength,
- lose weight quickly, or
- buy a fancy GPS watch on day one.
This might be done with the objective to boost performance even before we’ve put in training effort in order to achieve our goals.
One school of thought could be that we compare ourselves to others, thinking if we do exactly what they have done, we’ll have same outcome. In short, Cloning …..
However one must remember, in distance running, there is no instant gratification, no get-fit-quick schemes that promise any type of lasting results.
As runners we do sessions (read – intervals, hill repeats & tempo runs) that force us to test our limits & endure pain. Before the start, these workouts seem impossible and gruelling. However these sessions bring with them a sense of DELAYED gratification when we achieve the target goal.
Before the start, these workouts seem impossible and gruelling. However these sessions bring with them a sense of DELAYED gratification when we achieve the target goal.
That moment of gratification is achieved through accumulation of sessions/training ,when we push ourselves to test our limits, only to realize that desired outcomes in life don’t come instantly.
What is delayed gratification?
– The ability to invest TODAY to meet TOMMORROW’S desired cash flow for goals
– The ability to buy that new gadget AFTER we’ve saved for it, rather than impulsively swiping out credit card
– The ability to clear DEBT instead of adding more
– The ability to be PATIENT while markets fluctuate
For an individual who likes to take quick & impulsive decisions adopting delayed gratification behavioral trait is a difficult ask, but it’s well worth adopting for long term benefit.
How to adopt the process of delayed gratification?
– IDENTIFY goals and time frame
– Ask yourself before every purchase “Is this a WANT or a NEED?” Develop patience to defer your wants now, in return for your needs later.
– Remember every now & then, media bombards with new launches for mobiles, cars, houses …. Do not board this instant gratification bus.( Check your goal list and act accordingly ).
– Every individual is unique, remember what works for Mr. Kumar may not work for you.
– Limit your credit card purchases and have one credit card
Whether it is planning for future of kids or retirement, if you do not adopt delayed gratification approach and actually save or invest for future, you are putting kids and own future at stake.
When an individual succumb to instant gratification, one prioritizes present desires over tomorrow’s goals.
It’s no not a hidden fact that endurance athletes over the years have learned from their performance…… how delayed gratification, disciplined effort, fortitude, and faith are indispensable tools that help reach goals.
Do run the wealth building race to achieve your goals and cross the finish line on time.
Content : Ajit Kaushal